When somebody speaks about professional diving he means diving operations executed by professional divers for making define operations under water.
Diving operations can be used for:
- engineering researches;
- exploitation the underwater structures and equipment for gas and oil recovery at the sea and ocean shelve (preservation, depreservation or wells abandonment, structures status monitoring);
- cleaning the surfaces from fouling with algae and mussels;
- cinematography, photo/telephotography, visual observation;
- construction the underwater structures;
- rescue operations.
Divers when making underwater technological operations dive in complicated and dangerous conditions. So it is necessary a serious lead-up for professional diving. The compilation of divers is very important. The main criterions are high level of training, qualification and salubrity. Professional divers have working with reliable equipment what guarantees the high safety level of underwater operations. So there were organized the branch of operational procedures – diving – in many countries. It seizes the wide range of rescue operations, assembling operations and other kinds of operations under water with material, scientific and technical, medical support.
There are the following kinds of diving professional activities up today:
- Civil diving – repair, engineering, rescue and other kinds of underwater operations what are made by divers for civilian purposes.
- Commercial diving – the full range of operations for provision and conducting the leisure diving (so called Scuba Diving – as a kind of underwater swimming with use the define facilities for underwater breathing).
- Diver training – education and training the people for both commercial and professional purposes.
- Media-diving – underwater journalism and cinematography.
- Military diving – security and protection of different objects, carrying out the military diversionary tactic, scouting, mine neutralization and other operations.
- Police diving – underwater searching the facts.
- Scientific diving – underwater researches.
- And other.
As for diving operations we can say about the following:
- Underwater engineering operations. These are the operations what are made by specialists for examination, building and repair the underwater parts of waterworks, laying pipe lines, cable lines and other routs of communication. Here we can say about dredging operation, maintenance of waterworks, maintenance and cleaning the waterways and water areas.
- Ship raising operations. These are the operations what divers carry out for examination of sunken vessels and preparation it for raising.
- Ship repair operations. These are the operations what are made by specialists for underwater repairing of ships.
- Ship service diving operations are carried out for examination the hulls and cleaning them from fouling, elimination the underwater hull damages and underwater arrangements which are in operation.
- Rescue diving operations. These are rescue operations which are carried out by divers for saving the people or prohibiting the ecological catastrophe.
- Special diving operations are carried out as for provision the scientific researches and different kinds of tests for new diving equipment samples, instrument inspection of water areas with echo sounder, side-scanning sonar, searching the objects sunken, underwater welding and cutting.